Persistent Surveillance System – PSS
Protection of critical assets
The protection of critical assets from hostile actions requires the use of persistent surveillance to provide sufficient time for resources to react.
Enhanced situational awareness and response time
Rheinmetall’s innovative and operationally proven Persistent Surveillance System (PSS) provides the user effective and intelligent surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities. PSS enhances situational awareness, reducing critical decisionmaking time based on real-time information.
Highly mobile and easily deployed, the PSS offers an unsurpassed protection above areas at risk and is ideal for tactical surveillance applications for military, border, coastal, and energy sectors, as well as for public security, such as for instance forward operating bases, forward operating positions, petroleum facilities and power generation stations.
Modular and scalable
The PSS consists of a modular and scalable system that can easily be configured to meet specific needs and future growth as operational requirements change. The PSS core components comprise the following subsystems:
- Persistent Surveillance Aerostat (PSA)
- Persistent Surveillance Tower (PST)
- Ground Control Station
- Command and control software
PSAs and PSTs can be deployed individually or combined to provide optimal and mutual coverage as well as a critical redundancy to ensure persistent surveillance in all terrain and weather. Used together, PSA and PST systems offer the following features and benefits:
- 360° persistent surveillance capability for day and night operations
- Automatic long-range detection, identification, and monitoring of the threats
- Real-time surveillance and improved situational awareness
- Uninterrupted 24/7 surveillance
- Compact, multi-sensor tactical surveillance system
- Full HD, real-time and geo-referenced imagery
- Transportable, compact, and rapidly deployed
- Small crew: 3 to deploy, 1 to operate
- Modular design, can be adapted to carry various sensors
- Proven and reliable technology
The PSS has a proven record, being in service for the Canadian Forces' Forward Operating Bases in Afghanistan, the Winter Olympic Games 2010 in Vancouver, and the G8 and G20 summits 2010 in Canada.